John Orrell Physics - Nuclear & Particle
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- Doctor of Philosophy, Experimental Nuclear Physics (March 2004)
A Search for an Electron Antineutrino Signal in the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (ps,pdf)
- Master of Science, Physics (August 2001)
- Bachelor of Science, cum laude, Physics (August 1998)
- Bachelor of Science, cum laude, Philosophy (August 1998)
- Dark matter
- Neutrino properties
- National security applications of nuclear science
Research Scientist, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA (6/06-current)
- SuperCDMS-SNOLAB dark matter experiment Level 2 Manager for Background Control and Calibration.
- Development of an ultra-low background liquid scintillation counter.
- Dark matter search using a germanium gamma-ray spectrometer at Soudan Underground Laboratory.
- Process Quality Assurance Lead for the Majorana DEMONSTRATOR experiment.
- Development of an 37Ar measurement system for application to On-Site Inspection under CTBT.
- Effort to measure antineutrino-nucleus coherent scattering to enable a new method to monitor reactor fuel burn-up.
- Instrumentation of a multi-crystal array of high purity germanium detectors.
- Demonstrating a lab-scale liquid argon based Compton-suppression system for HPGe gamma-ray spectrometers.
- Responsible for integrating a beta sensitive environmental monitor into field operations.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA (4/04 - 6/06)
- Alternative cooling scheme investigation for the Majorana Project: Exposed germanium crystals in liquid argon.
- Developed & performed optimization tests of a scintillating optical fiber, beta detector designed for environmental monitoring.
- Investigated the radial position dependence of a parametric pulse shape analysis for high purity germanium gamma-ray spectrometers.
Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (10/98 - 12/98)
- Taught two sections of the introductory classical mechanics laboratory.
- Assistant in two sections of the introductory classical mechanics tutorial.
Research Intern, Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, IL (5/98 - 8/98)
- Studied electron response of the HERMES Cherenkov for electron/pion separation.
- Wrote report on the response of the HERMES Cherenkov for ANL.
Research Intern, Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, IL (5/97 - 8/97)
- Authored programs to analyze and correct the HERMES Cherenkov counter's response to electrons as a function of track position and time.
- Wrote simulation of the photomultiplier tube light acceptance efficiency for a proposed HERMES Ring Imaging Cherenkov counter.
Lab Technician, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility, Newport News, VA (8/96)
- Installed and aligned mirrors in the CLAS Collaboration Cherenkov detectors.
- Detected and repaired gas & light leaks in completed Cherenkov detectors.
Lab Technician, Photomultiplier Test Lab, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (9/95 - 7/96)
- Tested 5" photomultiplier tubes for the CLAS Collaboration Cherenkov detectors.
- Analyzed test results to obtain relative efficiency and dark noise at a specified gain.
- Trained other students in testing procedures.
Honors, Awards and Leadership Positions
Elected to Secretary/Treasurer for the Northwest Section of the American Physical Society (APS) (2011-2015).
Elected to Member-at-Large for the Northwest Section of the American Physical Society (APS) (2007-2011).
Appointed as the 2006 Chairperson of the APS Committee on Careers and Professional Development.
Appointed to the APS Committee on Careers and Professional Development (2004-2007).
Visiting Scholar at the University of Washington, March 2004 - July 2005.
Two Best Graduate Student Talk awards at annual meetings of the Northwest Section of APS:
- 2002 - High Energy Physics Session, May 17 - 18, Banff, Alberta.
- 2001 - Nuclear Physics Session, May 25 - 26, Seattle, WA.
Scholarship to attend the Twelfth National Nuclear Physics Summer School at the University of California, Santa Cruz, July 3 - 14, 2000.
Initiate of the National Order of Omega, the Greek Leadership Honor Society.
Gamma Tau Chapter of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity
- President - Fall Semester, 1997.
- Internal Vice President - String Semester, 1997.
- Treasurer (Managed $160,000 annual dues based budget) - Spring and Fall Semesters, 1996.
Dean's List all 8 semesters while attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).
Most recent from inSPIRE
C.E. Aalseth et al., Adv. High Energy Phys. 2015 (2015) 541362.
N. Abgrall et al., Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 779 (2015) 52-62.
The DarkSide Multiton Detector for the Direct Dark Matter Search
J.I. Collar et al., Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 773 (2014) 56.
The Majorana Parts Tracking Database
D.M. Asner et al., Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 776 (2015) 75-82.
Coherent neutrino-nucleus scattering detection with a CsI[Na] scintillator at the SNS spallation source
E. Aguayo et al., IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 60 (2013) 2, 689-692.
Method of Fission Product Beta Spectra Measurements for Predicting Reactor Anti-neutrino Emission
R.M. Bonicalzi et al., Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 712 (2013) 27-33.
The muon-Witness detector: A ruggedized, portable, flux meter for cosmogenic activation monitoring
C.E. Aalseth et al., IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 60 (2013) 2, 1168-1174.
The C-4 Dark Matter Experiment
C.E. Aalseth et al., Phys. Rev. D 88 (2013) 1, 012002.
Cryostat for Ultra-low-energy Threshold Germanium Spectrometers
E. Aguayo et al., Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 701 (2013) 176-185.
CoGeNT: A Search for Low-Mass Dark Matter using p-type Point Contact Germanium Detectors
C.E. Aalseth et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 107 (2011) 141301.
Characteristics of Signals Originating Near the Lithium-Diffused N+ Contact of High Purity Germanium P-Type Point Contact Detectors
C.E. Aalseth et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 652 (2011) 58-61.
Search for an Annual Modulation in a P-type Point Contact Germanium Dark Matter Detector
C.E. Aalseth et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 652 (2011) 692-695.
Measurement of 37Ar to support technology for On-site Inspection under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty
C.E. Aalseth et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 106 (2011) 131301.
Astroparticle Physics with a Customized Low-Background Broad Energy Germanium Detector
C.E. Aalseth et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 101 (2008) 055502. Errata: Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (2009) 109903.
Results from a Search for Light-Mass Dark Matter with a P-type Point Contact Germanium Detector
R. Suarez et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 586 (2008) 276-285.
Experimental Constraints on a Dark Matter Origin for the DAMA Annual Modulation Effect
B. Aharmim et al., Phys. Rev. C 75 (2007) 045502.
Real-time digital signal-processor implementation of self-calibrating pulse-shape discriminator for high-purity germanium
J.L. Orrell et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 579 (2007) 91-93.
Determination of the νe and total 8B solar neutrino fluxes using the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory Phase I data set
B. Aharmim et al., Phys. Rev. C 72 (2005) 055502.
Operation of a high-purity germanium crystal in liquid argon as a Compton-suppressed radiation spectrometer
C.E. Aalseth et al., Nucl. Phys. Proc. Suppl. 138 (2005) 217-220.
Electron energy spectra, fluxes, and day-night asymmetries of 8B solar neutrinos from measurements with NaCl dissolved in the heavy-water detector at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory
B. Aharmim et al., Phys. Rev. D 72 (2005) 052010.
The proposed Majorana 76Ge double-beta decay experiment
B. Aharmim et al., Phys. Rev. D 70 (2004) 093014.
Search for Periodicities in the 8B Solar Neutrino Flux Measured by the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory
S. N. Ahmed et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 92 (2004) 181301.
Electron Antineutrino Search at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory
S. N. Ahmed et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 92 (2004) 102004.
Measurement of the Total Active 8B Solar Neutrino Flux at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory with Enhanced Neutral Current Sensitivity
Q.R. Ahmad et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 89 (2002) 011302.
Constraints on Nucleon Decay via Invisible Modes from the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory
Q.R. Ahmad et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 89 (2002) 011301.
Measurement of Day and Night Neutrino Energy Spectra at SNO and Constraints on Neutrino Mixing Parameters
Q.R. Ahmad et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 87 (2001) 071301.
Direct Evidence for Neutrino Flavor Transformation from Neutral-Current Interactions in the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory
Measurement of the Rate of νe + d → p + p + e- Interactions Produced by 8B Solar Neutrinos at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory